Misconceptions about why you feel stuck
As an advanced or intermediate English learner, you may feel like you have hit a bump and your English is not improving. Some may say they just don’t have the time to study English as much, the teacher is not good that’s why you can’t keep improving or it just seems impossible to get better. Why these reasons may feel true to you, this is just a hump that you should be proud of to have reached. This means you are doing something right.
Top 7 reasons why your English is not improving
- You have a negative mindset and feel like you will never be able to improve.
- You have been too passive with your English.
- You are not reading enough English content or books.
- You are expecting results overnight.
- You are relying too much on your native language.
- You are not learning the same amount as when you were a beginner.
- You are feeling overwhelmed about the amount of English you still have to learn.
Solutions to these issues
- Give yourself credit for what you already know.
- Practice talking to yourself in the mirror or with other English speaking friends.
- Start with low-level kids or teen books to get you started with reading more.
- Practice and study daily to make it a habit. Do different activities to practice to stay motivated.
- Challenge yourself to do daily errands only in English like talking to the cashier, doctor, bus driver, etc.
- Start a journal of what you have learned during the week or during the day.
- Set smaller daily or weekly goals to prevent from being overwhelmed.