Let’s talk about hobbies!
What do you like to do for fun? What do you do on the weekends? What do you do in your free time? Talking about your hobbies may be a great place to start building your confidence when practicing your English. When we talk about things we are interested in, we are more likely to make a bigger effort to speak English fluently.
Today I’m going to share with you some common hobbies and how to talk about them to improve your English conversation skills. Before you keep reading, start thinking about what kind of hobbies you like and apply these conversation skills when you want to talk about your hobbies in English.
Hobbies in English
In English, you wouldn’t ask someone what their hobbies are, for the most part, we ask, “what do you like to do for fun?” “what do you do in your free time?” “What do you like to do on the weekends?”
We ask these questions when we are getting to know someone new to find out common interests. In this exercise, we will start with a simple sentence, then we will build upon those and add more details to the hobbies we talk about.
When you want to describe what you like to do for fun, you’ll start by saying, “I like to… I love to… On the weekends, I like to…”
Some common hobbies
- Working out
- Chilling with friends
- Eating out
- Playing an instrument
Let’s start with simple sentences
- I like to watch
- I love to go hiking
- I like to relax at home
- When I have free time, I love to travel
- In my free time, I like to study English
- I like to paint when I have time
Let’s add more details (when we do these activities)
- I go to the gym 3 times a week when I’m not to busy at work
- I go hiking maybe twice a month to relax and not spend too much money
- Most weekends, I like to relax at home and spend time with my family
- I like to travel to new places maybe once a month
- I go to soccer practice twice a week, maybe three times if we have a game
Let’s add more details (where we do these activities)
- I go to the gym down the street from my house after or before work if I’m not too busy
- I like to go hiking at Percy Warner once or twice a month and try new trails
- I like to go to the park to do my paintings and drawings because it’s more relaxing
- I usually go to the beach in Florida about once a month to get away from work
Let’s add more details (why we do these activities)
- I started going to the gym this year to improve my health
- My best friend loves to hike so started going with her and I absolutely loved it
- I’ve always loved traveling since I was very young, so I try to travel somewhere at least once a month
- I used to play soccer in middle school and I haven’t stopped since then
How to talk about the hobbies we don’t like
- I don’t like going to the beach because the sand gets everywhere in my clothes
- I hate going to the gym because it’s too crowded but I like to workout outside or at home
- I don’t like hiking because I always get lost, I’d rather go to the gym
- I don’t like traveling too much because it’s expensive and stressful
Let’s combine all into a small story about yourself
For fun, I like to paint or draw cartoons. I’ve always liked to draw since I took an art class in school. I like to draw and paint cartoon characters. Sometimes I sell my art if it’s good enough. I don’t like to be outdoors too much because it’s too much work. I like to stay indoors.
Talking about hobbies is the easiest way to get to know someone and to practice your English. Remember, native English speakers don’t use the word hobby, it’s always talked about in terms of what you like doing.
To keep a conversation going and to find out more about the other person, you may ask:
- Why do you like that hobby?
- When did you start doing that hobby?
- How long have you been doing that hobby?
Let us help you!
I am so happy to be joining you all on this new year full of hope and enthusiasm to accomplish our goals and dreams. If you are reading this blog, then one of your goals this year is to improve your English. I hope you are motivated more than ever, if not I am here to help
Our English course focuses on conversation skills, listening, and speaking. You’ll also have exclusive live online coaching with Dawn. You’ll have lifetime access to the course, community, and coaching with just a one-time registration fee.
The registration week is coming very soon to sign up for our English course to help your fluency get to the next level. You can pre-register at gonaturalenglish.com/prereg.
This is your opportunity to let us help you achieve your English goals!